Hobbity Feet

Hobbity Feet

Maybe you know already, I am working on a new yarn series inspired by Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. It seemed appropriate since my One Wheel campaign and the fact that my wonderful wheel is in-scripted in Elvish!  So I have already made my Mines of Moria yarn (which will be revealed when the series is complete!) and I have about another 10 planned! But today I made the prototype of my ‘Hobbity Feet’ yarn, and I really love how it turned out, very hobbity! I showed a pic on my Facebook page earlier.  I love the rich brown of the natural Polwarth and the lighter brown of the Alpaca together, they make a lovely blend that I think is really Hobbit-appropriate, rich and earthy. When I posted this pic on Facebook, someone suggested it would make great slipper toppers! I thought that was a fantastic idea! Since this skein was just a prototype practice, I hadn’t spun enough to do that, (next time though!)  but I did want to see it knitted up into something to know if my spacing and ‘hairy’ fluff was a suitable amount to make a nice effect. So I kinda just started knitting with the vague idea of making a cuff, since I didnt have a lot to play with, but it got longer, and as I knitted I thought it might make a nice boot trim, and then when I had finished it and was getting my boot to try it on, my son wanted the boot with it on and I thought… hang on… it would be a cool leg/foot warmer or even a dress-up! So he modelled it for me too 🙂 I will make him a second one so he will have matching feet. It was very simple knitting, cast on, stocking stitch, being sure to pull the hobbity bits to the outside, then cast off three each end to make the point! Thats what I like about art yarns, the yarn does all the work and the knitting can be really simple...

Read More

How I Knit an Art Yarn iPad Sleeve

How I Knit an Art Yarn iPad Sleeve

I often get bits of leftover yarns, usually at least some leftover singles from a plying mission, and sometimes I even make myself a yarn to play with too!  This iPad sleeve is made from some bulky singles yarn  (merino Bamboo blend)which I had dyed in pretty mermaid colours, and some lovely natural coloured dark espresso brown Polwarth which I had autowrapped with gold thread. I also had an iPad that needed a nice cosy sleeve so I could put it in my bag without worrying about scratches.. Its no secret, I am not the worlds greatest knitter, in fact I am potentially the perfect contender for the coveted title of ‘Most Likely to Tangle Herself in Her Own Knitting’ award. But still, I valiantly dusted off my needles and and managed to cast on. In fact I think I cast on about 40 stitches, in this nice bulky yarn. I used circular needles because I always do regardless of the project, because otherwise I always drop the needle out of the stitches and have to pick them all up again and inevitably end up with holes. See I told you. I started knitting, stocking stitch (R1 knit R2 purl) and continued doing that until I thought it was about time to change colour, about a quarter of the way along the length of the iPad. I wanted the dark brown to be the ‘tummy’ of the sleeve and make a nice broad band around it. I did a two extra knit rows before I changed colour to give a different texture. After I changed colour I went back to the stocking stitch rows again until it was time to return to the green. Again a few knit rows for the texture, I am kinda symmetrical… When I had gotten to about an inch short of the total length I wanted (phew) I changed to garter stitch, just knitting each row until I was ready to cast off, which I did, at great risk to life and limb, but finally managed to cast off completely without strangling myself in deadly loops of yarn. This is really an easy project – no shaping required and just keep knitting until you get to the length you want! When I was done knitting I just stitched the bottom edges together and up the side to make it into a sleeve. Thats it! I think the beauty of something like this is the simplicity, allowing the yarn to do all the jazzy pzazzy stuff for you, in this case I got some pretty colour changes from my hand dyed yarn and the gold thread in the Polwarth really added some...

Read More