How I Knit an Art Yarn iPad Sleeve
I often get bits of leftover yarns, usually at least some leftover singles from a plying mission, and sometimes I even make myself a yarn to play with too! This iPad sleeve is made from some bulky singles yarn (merino Bamboo blend)which I had dyed in pretty mermaid colours, and some lovely natural coloured dark espresso brown Polwarth which I had autowrapped with gold thread.
I also had an iPad that needed a nice cosy sleeve so I could put it in my bag without worrying about scratches..
Its no secret, I am not the worlds greatest knitter, in fact I am potentially the perfect contender for the coveted title of ‘Most Likely to Tangle Herself in Her Own Knitting’ award. But still, I valiantly dusted off my needles and and managed to cast on. In fact I think I cast on about 40 stitches, in this nice bulky yarn. I used circular needles because I always do regardless of the project, because otherwise I always drop the needle out of the stitches and have to pick them all up again and inevitably end up with holes. See I told you.
I started knitting, stocking stitch (R1 knit R2 purl) and continued doing that until I thought it was about time to change colour, about a quarter of the way along the length of the iPad. I wanted the dark brown to be the ‘tummy’ of the sleeve and make a nice broad band around it. I did a two extra knit rows before I changed colour to give a different texture. After I changed colour I went back to the stocking stitch rows again until it was time to return to the green. Again a few knit rows for the texture, I am kinda symmetrical…
When I had gotten to about an inch short of the total length I wanted (phew) I changed to garter stitch, just knitting each row until I was ready to cast off, which I did, at great risk to life and limb, but finally managed to cast off completely without strangling myself in deadly loops of yarn.
This is really an easy project – no shaping required and just keep knitting until you get to the length you want! When I was done knitting I just stitched the bottom edges together and up the side to make it into a sleeve. Thats it! I think the beauty of something like this is the simplicity, allowing the yarn to do all the jazzy pzazzy stuff for you, in this case I got some pretty colour changes from my hand dyed yarn and the gold thread in the Polwarth really added some shine.